The team of this edition includes specialists of their own subspecialty (Urology, Nephrology, Neurosurgery, Radiology, Surgical Oncology, Gastrointestinal Surgery, Anesthesiology, Plastic Surgery and Breast and Endocrine Surgery) and hence, the content is coming directly from the specialists to the young doctors. The second important change is the inclusion of a lot of case-based scenarios, image library as well as multiple choice questions and key topics on the perioperative journey of a patient, transplant journey of a patient, bariatric surgery, more detailed discussion of concepts of portal hypertension, fluid and electrolyte abnormalities and many more. All the updated guidelines of 2020–2023 have been summarized including the new definitions of shock, the new ATLS guidelines, compartment syndromes, urological cancers and sepsis amongst others. Topics like renal failure, coagulation and anticoagulation, acid-base balance, cardiac and respiratory risk assessment as well as management are very important in surgical workup and management of the patient and are highlighted here. All of us have also tried to increase the number of algorithms, figures, and tables and flowcharts and minimize the theory part.
- Revised thoroughly keeping in mind the changing needs of the current examination patterns.
- Focus on the practical application of newer concepts and technologies in the field of surgery as well as learning.
- Case-based scenarios, image library, MCQs, updated guidelines of 2020-2023, algorithms, figures, tables, and flowcharts all have been included to aid the understanding as well as for easy recall.
- Discusses key topics related indirectly to surgery such as radiology, anesthesia, transplant, and important medical topics in entirely separate chapters.
- Focuses on topics frequently encountered in case-based examinations, OSCEs, and multiple-choice questions.
- Fulfills all the requirements of medical students as well as budding surgeons for various competitive examinations.