This book details the basic science of infection, the microorganisms circulating in a hospital, and the antimicrobial agents available including the rational use of these along with antimicrobial stewardship. There are chapters describing A, B, C of various HCAIs including COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2 and how to develop a need-based infection prevention and control program (IPCP) for different levels of healthcare to prevent HCAIs. There are many chapters describing strategies of IPCP including hand hygiene, standard precautions, airborne and contact precautions, sterilization and disinfection, central sterilization and supplies, laundry management, biomedical waste management, and so on. Infection prevention and control in various areas of the hospital for various groups of patients, role of nursing, and role of microbiology laboratory to prevent and control HCAIs are described. There are chapters on investigation of an outbreak, maintenance of occupational health of healthcare professionals (HCPs), maintenance of clean environment, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system, OTs, ICUs and negative pressure rooms, etc. The latest strategies to prevent infections in different possible situations (ICU, HDU, post transplant units and Burns unit, etc.) in a healthcare facility including the clinical laboratory are described. Each chapter has been contributed by experts who are knowledgeable, conversant with the latest knowledge on the subject, and are involved in implementing the program in their respective hospitals. The chapters are structured in a way (with MCQs at the end) that the book can be used for training and education. In addition, there are chapters providing teaching and training materials for prevention of HCAIs including COVID-19 and laboratory-acquired infections (LAIs), respectively. It includes the details of all aspects of prevention of HCAIs—infection prevention and control in such a way that the reader will be able to understand, develop, and implement the IPCP in his/her hospital and train the HCPs to help contain this menace of HCAIs.
- This book describes all about prevention and control of healthcare- and laboratory-associated infections in 12 sections.
- It starts with introduction and later sections covering basic science, healthcare- and laboratory-associated infections, safe practices, device management, and surveillance.
- Provides a detailed description on Infection Prevention and Control Programme, Policies and Protocols in different hospital areas and different patient populations.
- Describes standard, airborne, droplet, and transmission-based precautions.
- The book summarizes current concepts on personnel safety along with cleaning, sterilization, and disinfection; safe environment in OT and during construction; central sterilization and supplies and laundry; air, water, and food safety and outbreak management.
- Describes antimicrobials, antibiogram, antibiotic policy, and antimicrobial stewardship.
- This edition also includes an important chapter on the ongoing pandemic of SARS CoV 2 infection that deals with epidemiology, pathogenesis and prevention strategies (both in hospitals and communities) for COVID 19 that will be of value to the readers.
- The book is written by experts with immense knowledge and expertise on the subject in simple, easy to understand language and flow charts based on the current knowledge.
- Information detailed in last two chapters and MCQs given at end of each chapter help the readers to prepare power points to train and educate the healthcare personnel.